Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Blah, blah, blah and other things

The Gobi got me started on this thing years ago where instead of making one New Year's resolution that you know you'll break by February anyway you make a list of 25 things that you want to accomplish in the New Year. As he will remind me, it was actually a list of 50 things, but since I could never come up with 50 things I really wanted to do let alone actually get them done I've shaved it done to 25. And by "shaved" I mean indelicately chopped in half.

Anyway, that is neither here nor there. I've faithfully done this exercise every year since he told me about it, and on average I'd say I get 5-7 of them done. The beauty of the list is that some of the items are things that I know I will probably never actually do, but just writing them down makes me feel hopeful. As if I just might do it this year. For example, I had 'play drums live' on my list for YEARS. And lo, one year it actually happened. I've had 'be more Zen' on my list for the last couple of years. Now, as my company will tell you that is not a smart goal because it is not measurable. But it's a good reminder to me nonetheless to calm down and try to achieve some sort of balance (incidentally, it is not one of the 5-7 things I manage to get done).

I have completed my list for this year, and although I won't share it with you I figure as I actually get something done on the list I'll post it here. I'm getting close to having 2 of the items done (woo hoo!) so there should be a progress report any day now.

Moving on and apropos of nothing, I wondered today if future generations forget how to walk?

My children and grandchildren will look like boneless chicken, I just know it.

1 Comments:

Blogger pf said...

god, i suck so bad at those lists of resolutions. so bad! i gave up on the idea this year, as i'm still trying to finish up stuff from 2004.

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home