Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Look Ma, Science!

Today I was the proud owner of beautiful, beautiful data. It wasn't a terribly difficult experiment or a labor intensive one, but this data was so pretty that (as I told my boss) you couldn't even fake data this good.

The thing is, it was what my friend Flychick calls a "suck it and see" experiment. You're pretty sure nothing good will come of it, but you don't have the reagent you actually need yet, so you throw a Hail Mary. And I'll be damned if it didn't work.

I'm by no means bragging here. I don't think I am an exceptionally gifted pipettor or that I have mean science skillz. This was Research Tech 101 stuff, and I'll be the first to admit I've made plenty of data that came out looking like it was from a random number generator.

Sometimes I just have to pause and appreciate that in spite of my best (or worst) efforts nature still works without any help from me.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home